Back to previous page

Terceiros Museum

Rua dos Terceiros n.º 209 4990-109 Ponte de Lima 41º 45’ 53,5” N | 8º 35’ 13,8” W
Rua dos Terceiros n.º 209 4990-109 Ponte de Lima

The Museu dos Terceiros is located in two religious houses of the Franciscan Order: the former convent of Santo António dos Capuchos and the building belonging to the Ordem Terceira de São Francisco (third order of Saint Francis). The remaining part of the convent, founded towards the end of the 15th century by Ponte de Lima’s mayor at the time, D. Leonel de Lima, consists of the church, the chapel of Senhora da Graça and the sacristy. 

The convent's church still bears some evidence of its initial period, but has been subjected to several changes between the 17th and the 19th centuries; especially in regard to its contents. The church of the Ordem Terceira, built between 1745 and 1747 was filled, during the following decades, with altarpieces, pulpits and valances in rococo design. Later, in the beginning of the 19th century the stalls and pipe organ, both in neoclassic fashion, were added. 

The museum was established in the 20th century, during the 70ies, to be exact, through the creation of the Instituto Limiano - Museu dos Terceiros. In 2002 the town hall and this institute signed an agreement towards the restoration and joint management of the museum. It reopened to the public in 2008, it is a reference in religious art in all northern region.



Telephone: (+351) 258 240 220
E-mail: mute.geral@museuspontedelima.com
Website: www.museuspontedelima.com

Address:
Rua dos Terceiros, n.º 209
4990-109 Ponte de Lima

GPS: 41º 45' 53,5" N | 8º 35' 13,8" W



Description
The Museu dos Terceiros is located in two religious houses of the Franciscan Order: the former convent of Santo António dos Capuchos and the building belonging to the Ordem Terceira de São Francisco (third order of Saint Francis). The remaining part of the convent, founded towards the end of the 15th century by Ponte de Lima’s mayor at the time, D. Leonel de Lima, consists of the church, the chapel of Senhora da Graça and the sacristy. 

The convent's church still bears some evidence of its initial period, but has been subjected to several changes between the 17th and the 19th centuries; especially in regard to its contents. The church of the Ordem Terceira, built between 1745 and 1747 was filled, during the following decades, with altarpieces, pulpits and valances in rococo design. Later, in the beginning of the 19th century the stalls and pipe organ, both in neoclassic fashion, were added. 

The museum was established in the 20th century, during the 70ies, to be exact, through the creation of the Instituto Limiano - Museu dos Terceiros. In 2002 the town hall and this institute signed an agreement towards the restoration and joint management of the museum. It reopened to the public in 2008, it is a reference in religious art in all northern region.
Contacts
Telephone: (+351) 258 240 220
E-mail: mute.geral@museuspontedelima.com
Website: www.museuspontedelima.com

Address:
Rua dos Terceiros, n.º 209
4990-109 Ponte de Lima

GPS: 41º 45' 53,5" N | 8º 35' 13,8" W

Portuguese Toy Museum The Portuguese Toy Museum is located in the Casa do Arnado...
Learn more
Visite Ponte de Lima
Visite Ponte de Lima
© 2019
PortoNorte