Back to previous page

Pillories of Ponte de Lima
Pillory of Ponte de Lima (and the Town Hall), Pillory of Bertiandos and Pillory of Anais

Ponte de Lima 41º 46’ 7,7” N | 8º 35’ 3,4” W
Ponte de Lima

In Ponte de Lima the pillory, symbol of absolutist power, was located on the sand banks of the Lima river, outside the town walls. It was dismantled with the liberal victory and records on national heritage inform us that "it was disassembled by the town council and relocated to the Praça da Rainha square, but several elements ended up getting lost: the base and the platform stones were used as pavement stones; the shaft was used in a inn; the capital got used in the interior square of the asylum of D. Maria Pia; the shield was used for the fountain at Largo de São João and the armillary sphere was lost after being stored in the town hall for a long time". Later, in 1936, the present structure, which was already built in the 16th century, was constructed near the town hall. This is a wonderful example of political-administrative architecture even today, with its features typical for the 18th century, of which the front part stands out, with its "ashlar body, with a two-arm stairway accessing the second floor, ripped on its lower side by a span in semi-circular arch". 

As far as the pillories are concerned, there are some reconstructions today near the town hall and the Passeio 25 de Abril, with original parts or having original parts as its basis.

Regarding the pillory of Bertiandos, this is actually a milestone dating back to the time of the Roman emperors Maximinus and Maximus (235-238 a.d.). Set up by the Roman road that connected Braga to Tuy, this milestone was found in 1641 in the field of Santo Amaro (parish of Fornelos) and transported by the Senhor de Bertiandos (Lord of Bertiandos) to be used as a pillory. This is still visible today within the walls of the Casa de Bertiandos.



Pillory of Passeio 25 de abril - 41º 46' 4,9'' N | 8º 35' 6,0'' W

Pillory of Paços do Concelho - 41º 46' 3,2'' N | 8º 34' 59,0'' W

Pillory of Bertiandos - 41º 45' 51,4'' N | 8º 37' 29,7'' W



Description
In Ponte de Lima the pillory, symbol of absolutist power, was located on the sand banks of the Lima river, outside the town walls. It was dismantled with the liberal victory and records on national heritage inform us that "it was disassembled by the town council and relocated to the Praça da Rainha square, but several elements ended up getting lost: the base and the platform stones were used as pavement stones; the shaft was used in a inn; the capital got used in the interior square of the asylum of D. Maria Pia; the shield was used for the fountain at Largo de São João and the armillary sphere was lost after being stored in the town hall for a long time". Later, in 1936, the present structure, which was already built in the 16th century, was constructed near the town hall. This is a wonderful example of political-administrative architecture even today, with its features typical for the 18th century, of which the front part stands out, with its "ashlar body, with a two-arm stairway accessing the second floor, ripped on its lower side by a span in semi-circular arch". 

As far as the pillories are concerned, there are some reconstructions today near the town hall and the Passeio 25 de Abril, with original parts or having original parts as its basis.

Regarding the pillory of Bertiandos, this is actually a milestone dating back to the time of the Roman emperors Maximinus and Maximus (235-238 a.d.). Set up by the Roman road that connected Braga to Tuy, this milestone was found in 1641 in the field of Santo Amaro (parish of Fornelos) and transported by the Senhor de Bertiandos (Lord of Bertiandos) to be used as a pillory. This is still visible today within the walls of the Casa de Bertiandos.
Contacts
Pillory of Passeio 25 de abril - 41º 46' 4,9'' N | 8º 35' 6,0'' W

Pillory of Paços do Concelho - 41º 46' 3,2'' N | 8º 34' 59,0'' W

Pillory of Bertiandos - 41º 45' 51,4'' N | 8º 37' 29,7'' W
Visite Ponte de Lima
Visite Ponte de Lima
© 2022
PortoNorte